Chapter 3: Home Sweet Home
Tee's Apartment in the Vale
Warning: Blood and Violence in this Chapter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Begin a session move: External factors create new danger, urgency, or importance for a quest]
Madame Cho sat in her office looking out the window over Little China Town. A few of her goons stood at attention in front of her desk.
"Miss Tee dishonored my hospitality. That can't go unpunished. See to it that she understands the error of her ways."
The goons all bowed in unison before leaving the office.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An excerpt from Tee's Memoirs
The most important tool of the trade for a Netrunner is a Direct Neural Interface. What it does is allows me to connect to any system or a network via my datajack, that I have implanted under my skin near my wrist, or I am able to connect wirelessly but that opens me up to being hacked. Once I am jacked in, it allows me to think of something to happen and the system does it.
In layman's terms, think of DNI as being like USB combined with Bluetooth, with one end plugged directly into my brain. Just about anything I can hook into or connect to my brain can command it.
My bosses over at Niromi Dynamics spared no expense in implanting me with a top-of-the-line neural link. I also have the ability to record braindances from my point of view, that if I am really hurting for scratch I can sell them to braindance junkies.
Another benefit of my Neural Link is it allows me faster reaction times if I activate the speedware program that's installed. It only works for a short amount of time but it has saved my ass a few times.
When it comes to actual Netrunning I have to thank Niromi Dynamics for giving me my setup. My cyberdeck has slots for eight programs to be running at a time. Normally when netrunning, you need VR goggles but thanks to Niromi, they decided that they were going to experiment on me. Read the fine print in your contracts kids. They implanted me with cyberoptics, specifically with Virtuality. It projects cyberspace imagery over my view of the world.
The easiest way to explain it is like this. Ever seen that old movie called the Matrix? There is a part when you are looking through Neo's eyes when he finally becomes the one and everything is green and he sees code all around, etc... It's kinda like that. I can see data streams, programs that are running, all kinds of neat things. All I need to do is activate it to go into netrunning mode.
Another added bonus of my neural interface is when they implanted it into my brain they must've done something unintentional because I am now capable of using kinetic abilities that I never had before the neural interface was installed. That's one of the reasons my bosses loved using me for their dangerous jobs. I had a special advantage over just a normal person in the field.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After leaving little China town I pulled up the website for Red Dirt to check out some information. The doors open at 9 pm and there is a famous band playing tonight, Poets & Pornstars. I never heard of them but if they were like any of the other Chromatic Rock bands I've heard during my lifetime I'd probably hate them.
I'm not a big fan of Chromer music but this was a job and I needed to go where the information takes me. That means I needed to get changed. One of the execs at Niromi, Marilyn Sanchez, was a Chromer and took me out with her on a few occasions as protection. Chromers hated Corpos. Ironic isn't it.
I was kinda the go-to person at Niromi Dynamics when it came to protection. Niromi had a lot of programs they offered free to their employees so I took full advantage of all the combat-oriented classes. Martial arts, weapons handling, firearms, brawling, pressure points, takedowns. You name it, I took it. I took them all during my free time trying to make myself important to the company. I was a diehard Corpo. I wanted to make it rich. And with my Kinetic abilities, the execs loved to have me around in a tight spot. They all felt they owned me since they were the ones responsible for what happened to me.
[Has Tee been to Red Dirt in the past? Ask the Oracle: Yes]
[Has Tee caused any problems at Red Dirt to be unwanted there? Ask the Oracle: No]
[Does Tee have any connections in Red Dirt? Ask the Oracle: Yes]
Getting into Red Dirt was going to be a problem tonight with the band playing. There are going to be long lines and screaming fans all over the place. I decided to call on an old connection I knew, Orlo. One of the bartenders there.
"Hey Orlo, It's Tee."
"Hey Tee. Haven't seen you in a dog's day. How's it been?"
"I'm doing alright. I hate to ask you this but can you get me on the guestlist for tonight?"
"I didn't picture you as a Poets and Pornstars fan. If I remember correctly you always complained while your friend partied it up all night."
"I need to talk to someone there. I didn't realize a band was playing tonight. Can you do me a solid?"
[Compel +heart. 4+2+0=6 vs 9|1: Weak Hit. They will do what you want but at a price]
"I don't know Tee. Poets and Pornstars is a pretty big deal for us tonight. I haven't talked to you in ages and now you're calling me up out of the blue asking for access to one of the biggest bands this decade."
"I'll make it worth your while Orlo," I said.
"I'll put you on the list but you need to do something for me."
[What does Orlo need from Tee? Action: Aid, Theme: Safety]
"Anything you need Orlo."
"I'm going to put you in as a new employee. You get to help with security for the night. Some of my guys haven't been to work in a few days and I am kind of shorthanded. I'll even pay you for your troubles."
"You got yourself a deal, Orlo. What time do you want me there?"
"Get here by 7."
"Thanks, Orlo, see you then."
[Is one of the security people that called in, Riggs, the person Tee needs to see? Ask the Oracle: Yes]
Luckily Little China Town was located in the heart of the Vale so I wasn't that far from home. I still had about 6 hours before I had to show up at Red Dirt but that was in South Bridge, about an hour away. I still had plenty of time to go home and get changed before I had to make any plans for the evening.
The streets of the Vale were crowded today, mostly the homeless fighting for a good corner to beg for creds. Occasionally you could see a few gang bangers hanging in their favorite spots. A few honest hard-working citizens of Charaboon City walked the streets going from point A to point B minding their own business and just trying to live.
The building I lived in was a very old highrise. A lot of homeless and junkies filled out the first few floors, which I didn't mind. The price was right and when you're in hiding from the Corpo's this place was as good as any other.
My apartment was on the 29th floor. Most of my neighbors worked various blue-collar jobs and made next to nothing. This place was depressing and most who lived here turned to drugs or other avenues to forget about life. A lot of Braindance junkies lived around here. I've made some good scratch selling some of my braindances I've made to a couple of my neighbors.
As I exited the elevator I saw a Hisui Tora thug standing in the middle of the hallway pointing a heavy pistol at me.
"Only 1 guy? I'm insulted. I going to have to have a talk with Madame Cho after I get rid of you." I said with a smile on my lips.
The thug nodded his head and I looked behind me. Coming out of the shadows were another three goons. One held a spiked bat in his hand, the other two wielded swords.
"Now this is more like it," I said. "Who wants to die first?"
The thug with the gun laughed as he pulled the trigger. The problem with thugs is they weren't that smart. He should have shot me when I walked out of the elevator. But he gave me time to prepare. A prepared Tee is a deadly Tee.
[Face Danger +iron +kinetic. 5+3+2=10 vs 2|2: Stong hit with a match. -2 momentum from Kinetic (8). Take +1 momentum (9) I'm going to give myself +1 on the next roll due to the match]
As I was talking I activated my speedware, so when the thug pulled the trigger I could see the bullet coming at me. It was easy enough for me to throw up a kinetic shield to reflect the bullet back at the thug, hitting him in the chest and taking him out of the fight.
I turned towards the thugs behind me and pulled my own sword from its sheath on my back. I raised my hand out in front of me and held my sword down against my leg.
"Who's next?" I said with a grin.
[Enter the fray (Dangerous) +wits (sizing up the situation). 1+4+1=6 vs 7|6: Miss. You are in a bad spot.]
The two thugs with the swords charged me, one on each side of me while the third thug tried to get around me. I assume he is going for the gun. He is the most dangerous to me at this time but I had to deal with the swordsmen first.
[React under fire +iron (blocking). 1+3+0=4 vs 9|7: Miss. the situation worsens. You stay in a bad spot and must Pay the Price.]
[-1 health (4) Endure Harm +health. 1+4+0=5 vs 7|3: Weak Hit. if you are not wounded, you may Lose Momentum (-1) in exchange for +1 health. Momentum (8), Health (5)]
The two swordsmen strike from both sides. I was able to block one of the swords but the other sliced through my sleeve, striking me in the arm. I quickly turned and pushed the sword away with mine and noticed the third thug got around us and was reaching down to pick up the heavy pistol.
[Face Danger +wits (expertise) + Kinetic (-2 momentum 6). 2+4+2=8 vs 7|3: Strong hit. You are successful. Take +1 momentum (7)]
I roll out of the way of the two swordsmen and fling out my arm, throwing kinetic energy towards the pistol on the ground and making it go flying down the hallway before turning back towards the swordsmen.
[Clash +iron. 2+3+0=5 vs 2|2: Strong hit with a match. Mark progress twice, you overwhelm your foe, you are in control. I am going to add +1 to the next roll due to the match][Mark Progress: Fight the thugs in my hallway:2 boxes][Mark Progress: Fight the thugs in my hallway:4 boxes]
I was able to parry one of the sword strikes and countered with one of my own, slicing the thug's leg off at the knee. He went down in a fountain of blood, howling in pain. The other thug tried to stab me in the side while I was distracted but my speedware helped me dodge to the side and square up to him. I noticed the third thug running down the hall towards the gun.
[Gain Ground +wits (Studying a situation). 4+4+1=9 vs 8|7: Strong Hit. Stay in control, Mark Progress: Fight the thugs in my hallway: 6 boxes, +1 next roll]
During a one on one duel, I wasn't too worried about this guy in front of me. My 100's of hours of training were probably far superior to any training this goon has gotten in his lifetime. I waited him out and he lunged with his sword, I parried it easily enough and slid my sword through his throat. I could hear him gurgling blood as he fell to the ground.
[strike +iron. 5+3+0=8 vs 7|4: Strong Hit. mark progress twice. You stay in control. Mark Progress: Fight the thugs in my hallway: 8 boxes, Mark Progress: Fight the thugs in my hallway: 10 boxes]
I turned and slashed my sword at the guy on the ground that was bleeding from his missing leg. My sword disconnected the man's head from his shoulders. I flicked my wrist, slinging the blood off of my blade onto the ground before turning towards the last guy running towards the gun.
[Progress Roll: Fight the thugs in my hallway: Strong Hit = 10 vs 4 | 5 Take +1 momentum (8) Using Kinetic to end the fight so -2 momentum (6)]
I began walking down the hall as the man hurriedly picked up the gun and pointed it towards me. I could see he was scared as his hand was shaking badly.
"Give Madame Cho my regards," I said as I pointed my hand at the thug and swung it towards the window.
The Kinetic energy left my body and lifted the man off the ground and flung him out the 29th story window. I could hear his screams for a few moments before silence. I looked around at the carnage on the ground and smiled. I wiped my blade off on the thug and took a picture and sent it to Madame Cho. Maybe she'll think twice before sending some of her people after me.
[Will this stop Madame Cho from sending people after Tee? Ask the Oracle: No]
[End of session stats: No progress on any of my vows or finding Gorilla. Momentum 6, Health 5, Spirit 5, Supply 5.]
Comments
Post a Comment