Chapter 1: We all start somewhere

 

Charaboon City-Population 94,387
2/24/3422


The Vale is one of the busier districts of Charaboon City, riddled with many different street gangs fighting for control. Some would say it is the most violent of the Districts but I say it's where you can make a lot of scratch if you know the right Fixer.

My name is unimportant, people just call me Tee. I used to be a Corpo Netrunner for Niromi Dynamics until they decided I was a monkey because of one botched job I did. They tried to have me zeroed by a Ferryman but that didn't work out so well for him.

Now I'm a Deckjockey, an expert Cyberdeck user that has been putting the direct neural interface that they implanted into me to good use, stealing their secrets out of the corporate Data Fortresses and selling them to their competition.  

My Fixer, who goes by the name Link, just sent me a telecom asking me to meet with her at Tom's diner in the middle of the Vale. She said she had a special job for someone with my skillset. Who am I to turn down some scratch. Times are hard in Charaboon City when you aren't a corpo stooge making the big creds. 

Tom's diner was one of those retro food joints that promise an authentic old fashion Earth meal but in reality, they just sell you the same old kibble every other joint sells you or some crap they find out back in the alleys that they kill themselves and add some spices to it and say it's a delicacy. 

Link was sitting in a corner booth sipping on some coffee when I entered the place. I gave Tom a nod before I slipped into the booth. One of those Robowaitresses asked for my order but I declined.

"Whatcha got for me?" I asked as I looked around the diner. The vidscreen was talking about the increased violence in Charaboon City of the last few weeks. Crime has risen 150% as well as violent crimes and murder. They speculate that the cause of this uprise is due to a new designer drug called Mist.


"No good morning Link? How was your night Link?" Link said with a smile. 

Link was a Fixer, one who finds jobs and assigns crews to carry out those jobs. Link was a middleman, but she was one of the best. An up-and-comer in the business that people tried to get her services but she was picky on who she used. A choom of mine introduced us a few weeks back but I never had the chance to work for her yet.

I rolled my eyes and continued watching the vidscreen. "Good morning Link, how was your night?

"I'm glad you asked." Link said as she handed over a datachip. "Go ahead, watch it. I'll wait.'

I plugged the datachip into my neural interface and a bunch of images and data began flashing before my eyes. A very large intimidating man, with cybernetic arms, was ripping another man's arm out of its socket before beating him to death with it.

Name: Gorilla
Height: 6' 7"
Weight: 398 lbs
Affiliation: Dorph Gang
Job: Enforcer

After the video, it begins to scroll his rap sheet which consists of various assaults, drug trafficking, numerous drug charges, Aggravated Assaults, Attempted Murders. You name it he's done it or tried to do it.

"Looks like a pleasant fellow," I said as I handed the datachip back to Link.

"I'm glad you think that, Tee. You're going to go have a chat with him." 

"I'm what now?" 

"I need you to track him down and get some creds he owes me. He hired me for a job and after I had it done he refused to pay me. People need to know you can't frak with a fixer." Link said as she slid the datachip back to me.

"Why me?"

"Why you? I'll tell you why you. You were more than a Corpo Netrunner as you tell people. I know all about the real jobs you did for Niromi Dynamics. I know about the Econworth job. Twenty-four confirmed deaths. That was a nice bit of work you did there." Link gave a wicked grin.

How the hell could she have found that out? I thought to myself as I gave Link my biggest smile. "I don't know where you heard such a crazy story. I was a Netrunner, nothing more." 

Well, that's not entirely true. I was a Netrunner for Niromi Dynamics, but I was also one of their cleaners when I had to be. I'd done bad things in my time as a corpo, but in the corporate world, it's kill or be killed. 

"Sure, Tee. Whatever you say." Link said as she handed me a credstick. "Your payment for the job. I know you won't pass it up."

I took the credstick and checked out the amount on it and whistled. "All of this for a debt collection?"

"And if it works out well, I've got more jobs lined up for you. Consider this a job application."

I grabbed my Iron necklace and looked Link in the eyes. "I swear on this Iron that I will collect the money owed you by Gorilla."

[Swear an Iron Vow (Dangerous) +heart +connection. 2+2+1=5 vs 1|1 Strong Hit with a match. +2 momentum (4), Giving another 2 momentum (6) for the match]

Link nods in satisfaction as a smile creases her lips. 

"I know you won't let me down, Tee. Gorilla's been on the down-low over the last week. Talk to Mr. Wang of Mr. Wang's Dumplings. He may have some information for you. Good luck, Tee."

Link said before she got up and left Tom's Diner.

[End of session stats. Momentum 6, Health 5, Spirit 5, Supply 5, Dangerous Vow: Collect the debt owed to Link by Gorilla, Develop a Relationship (Link). Marked 1 box on her connection track]

Comments

Popular Posts