Chapter 2: Mr. Wang's
Mr. Wang's Dumplings- Little China Town
Mr. Wang's Dumplings is located in the heart of Little China Town, a large marketplace run by the Hisui Tora Clan. Their leader, Madame Cho is a ruthless businesswoman who runs her clan with an iron fist. Word on the street is if you cross Madame Cho you aren't seen again and if you are it's in little pieces, floating in the river.
I wasn't really worried about going down there. I've had many dealings with Chinese gangs in my life as a Corpo. I understand their culture and have great respect for them. If you treat them with respect you will most likely survive an encounter with them. If respect doesn't work, I have many skills that will enable me to grind them to dust if need be.
[Does Tee have the connections to contact Madame Cho from his life as a Corpo? Ask the Oracle: Yes]
I decided to do the right thing, to not complicate things, and contacted Madame Cho on the telecom.
"Greetings Madame Cho. This is Tee. Do you have a minute out of your busy day to talk?" I said humbly.
[Did Tee cause any problems in his life as a Corpo to Madame Cho's Clan? Ask the Oracle: No]
"Ah, Tee. How are you, child? How are things at Niromi Dynamics?"
"Things are going good for me thanks. I have a request of you."
"A request, child? What does Niromi Dynamics need of my services?" Madame Cho asked.
[Compel with shadow (lying). 3+3+0=6 vs 2|3: Strong Hit, they'll do what you want or agree to your conditions. Take +1 momentum (7)]
"I have to talk to Mr. Wang in little China town. I was calling to ask for safe passage while in your territory. I didn't want to step on your toes and my questions for him have nothing to do with any of your interests."
"Intriguing. What could a Dumpling merchant possibly know that you need?" Madame Cho asked.
"Thank you, Madame Cho, I appreciate you doing this for me," I said, sidestepping her question.
"Very well, Tee. I will tell my people to leave you alone while talking to Mr. Wang but do not cause any trouble Tee."
"You have my word," I said before I hung up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Little China Town is always an experience to behold. Sights, sounds, and scents assaulted your senses from every direction. I've been here numerous times over the last few years. Not only do they have the best food but a lot of my bosses at Niromi Dynamics had many dealings with people here and I always was asked to accompany them for their protection. A person such as myself with my unique skill set was always in high demand in the Corporate world until you screw something up.
Mr. Wang's was located in the center of the marketplace with a whole bunch of other food stalls. The marketplace of Little China Town was a place where everyone gathered. Anything you wish to buy could probably be found somewhere within the market. Guns, not a problem. Foods, by the dozen. Weapons, check. A thriving sex scene was located in the corner of the market where you could rent Joytoys by the hour if that was your thing. They even have braindances you may wish to buy, legal or otherwise.
This morning was no different than any other time I've been here. The place was mobbed with people going about their day, buying, selling, and trading things. Many of the Hisui Tora Clan could be seen walking the market. You could tell them by the tattoos of a tiger and the colors they were wearing. It didn't surprise me though. Madame Cho protected her interests and I figured she would send people here after our talk to try and find out why I needed Mr. Wang.
One of the clan members was standing a few feet away from Mr. Wang, his stall was empty of customers. He nodded to me before walking away, giving us some privacy.
[Gather information. 5+4+0=9 vs 6|2: Strong Hit, you discover something helpful and specific. The path you must follow or action you must take to make progress is made clear. Envision what you learn. Then, take +2 momentum (9)]
I held up my hand to Mr. Wang so he wouldn't talk as I scanned the immediate area. Being a Netrunner I had dealings with high-tech surveillance and other means to eavesdrop on conversations and I figured this would be one of those situations where I might need to shut something down.
My hunches were correct and I noticed a surveillance camera turned directly on Mr. Wang's as well as a few others that were turned in this immediate direction as to capture anything happening around his stall.
What I needed to ask Mr. Wang wasn't really that major but I had to show Madame Cho not to mess with me. As far as she knows I am still a Corpo and you don't mess with Corporations. If I didn't do anything it would show me as weak.
[secure an advantage (hacking the system) with wits +tech. 3+4+1=8 vs 8|4. Weak Hit. Using tech's ability to press my luck and reroll all dice and add +2. 5+4+2=11 (10) vs 8|7: Strong Hit. Take +2 momentum (10). Add +1 on your next move (not a progress move)]
[Secure an advantage (placing a virus in the system) with wits +tech. 4+4+1=9 vs 7|3. Strong Hit, +2 momentum (at 10), +1 next move]
I easily hacked my way into the network with my neural Interface and shut the system down within a few seconds. I decided to place a virus program in there so when they tried to reboot the system it would continue shutting itself down. That should give me 10 minutes or so of uninterrupted time to talk to Mr. Wang.
"Mr. Wang. I was told you may have information about a Dorpher that goes by the name Gorilla. What do you know?" I asked.
[Ask the oracle: Story Clues: (5) Connects to a known rumor or scandal. Descriptor: Chaotic, Focus: Lair. I marked progress (3 boxes) on finding Gorilla (troublesome expedition) and marked progress on the vow (2 boxes)]
Mr. Wang looks around the marketplace nervously before turning to me to speak.
"Remember that scandal that happened a few weeks back at the Chromer bar, Red Dirt?"
"Vaguely. Something about a dozen Joytoys being found outside the club after hours overdosed on Mist, I think. " I said.
"That's the one. Well, I have it on good authority that your man Gorilla was the one that provided the Mist to the club. His ex-step brother's cousin is the bouncer there. I hear they are good choombas. If you need to find your man, I'd start there."
"Thanks, Mr. Wang. If you ever need my help with something don't hesitate to call." I said.
[Make a connection +heart. 5+2+0=7 vs 6|4: Strong Hit. you create a connection. Give them a role and rank. Whenever your connection aids you on a move closely associated with their role, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.]
[Is there repercussions with Madame Cho for disabling the Cameras? Ask the Oracle: Yes]
I grabbed a sack of Dumplings before I left.
As I was leaving Mr. Wang's I noticed the Hisui Tora Clan member walking towards Mr. Wang. I figured this would happen. Madame Cho would want to know what we talked about. Mr. Wang should be fine so I continued on my way.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[End of session stats. Momentum 10, Health 5, Spirit 5, Supply 5, Progress on Finding Gorilla 3 boxes, Progress on vow collecting the debt from gorilla 2 boxes. Made a connection: Mr. Wang, troublesome rank]
Comments
Post a Comment